This HOW-TO covers up the whole process of installing Adobe Photoshop CS2 on a Ubuntu box in a few simple steps. This method has been tested only on Ubuntu, but it should work on any other linux flavor.
-What you need?
* A fresh install of Ubuntu Dapper + all the updates
* A Windows box with a fully installed and activated version of Adobe Photoshop CS2
– Fire up a terminal session and type the next commands;
TIP: Instead of using apt-get, you can install them with the Synaptic Package Manager located in the System/Administration menu
1. $ apt-get update
2. $ apt-get install wine and then type â€œyesâ€
3. $ wine /*To create the wine file structure*/
4. $ apt-get install recode and then type â€œyesâ€
– Then you need to copy all the necessary files from the Windows box;
5. Copy the whole Adobe folder from â€œc:\Program Files\â€ to â€œ/home/YOURNAME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/â€
– Now you need to export the registry keys of the Adone Photoshop CS2;
6. In your Windows box, type â€œregeditâ€ in the command-line and export the whole â€œHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Adobe/â€ to â€œadobe.regâ€, then copy it to your your Ubuntu, convert it to ascii with â€œ$ recode ucs-2..ascii adobe.regâ€. Afterwards, type â€œ$ wine regedit adobe.regâ€ to run it with wine.
7. Thatâ€™s it! Type â€œ$ ./wine â€“winver winxp â€œ[path to Photoshop]/photoshop.exeâ€ or create a launcher and enjoy Adobe Photoshop CS2 on Ubuntu 😉